Cauliflower, Kale and potato pie (Vegan)
This winter favourite uses seasonal vegetables to create a warming pie that is perfect as a mid-week meal on it's own or can be dressed up with side dishes for a dinner party.
Makes: 3-4 portions
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
For the crust:
- 650g of your flour of choice, spelt works well
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 190ml of Olive Oil
- 200ml of water
Alternatively use pre-made pastry if you're looking to cut down prep-time.
For the filling:
- 4 potatoes
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 cauliflower
- 3 large kales leaves
- 2 tbsp of veggie stock
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes optional for those who like a kick
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Peel and boil the potatoes. Once boiled, mash and set aside to cool.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl to make the crust.
- Separately, mix the wet ingredients and add to the wet. Then mix by hand until you have your dough. Continue to knead for around 2/3 minutes.
- Press the dough into a baking pan lined with either baking paper or for a zero waste option use this reusable tray liner from Boobalou.
- Poke the dough with a fork several times to prevent it from 'puffing' whilst baking. Then bake the crust for 10 minutes until golden brown then remove from over and leave to cool fora few minutes.
- Whilst the dough is baking, blitz the cauliflower in a blender until it is the size of rice grains.
- Add the cauliflower, chopped kales, chopped green onion and the spices to the mashed potato and mix well.
- Add the filling to the crust and brush the top of the pie with olive oil.
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes. Then cover with baking paper or foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until the top of the pie is golden brown.
Serve with seasonal vegetables of choice and, the Flor + Cesta recommendation, a side sauce of Rubies in the Rubble spicy tomato relish.