Pumpkin and sweetcorn fritters
Make these in mini as tasty starters and canapes, or double the suggested batter mix to turn them into a main.
Makes: 15 mini fritters or 7 larger
Preparation: 10- 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 175g peeled and chopped pumpkin ( pumpkin can be substituted for squash)
- 125g self-raising flour
- 250ml non- dairy milk (we suggest hemp or oat as the most sustainable options in the UK)
- 40g tinned sweetcorn (leave a few spoonfuls aside for serving)
- Spring onion (optional)
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking bowder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 230ml Rubies in the Rubble Aquafaba mayo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the pumpkin until tender then mash or use blender to blitz to a smooth puree. Set aside to cool
- Combine flour, pinch of salt, nutmeg and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and slowly beat in oil and milk. Whisk until all lumps have gone.
- Stir in the pumpkin and then add the sweetcorn and spring onion if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Whisk together the mayo, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and drop dessert spoonfuls of the batter (x2 if making this for a main) and cook for a couple of minutes. Once golden underneath, flip and fry for approx a further 30 seconds until cooked through.
- Serve each fritter with a spoonful of the mayo mix, the spare corn and some black pepper
If serving as a main, we recommend a tossed kale and paprika salad to accompany.