Tarka dahl with roasted tomatoes and cauli rice
This super easy and quick to prepare tarka dahl with cauliflower rice is light yet filling. The perfect easy mid-week dinner or bulk - make for taking to work for lunch.
Makes: 5-6 meals
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 400g red lentils
- 1 green onion (or three small)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large cauliflower
- Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Turmeric
- 3 tbsp Cumin
- 1 fresh chilli or chilli flakes
Optional (but recommended ingredients):
- fresh corriander
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala
1. Place the lentils in a pan and cover with boiling water to come to around 5 centimetres above their surface. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in the turmeric and a generous glug of olive oil. Cover and leave to cook gently.
2. Grate the cauliflower and set aside.
3. If using cumin seeds, in a small frying pan, dry-fry the seeds over a medium heat until toasted (no more than a couple of minutes). Remove from the pan and set to one side. If you are using cumin powder skip this step.
4. Chop garlic, chilli's, onion and whole tomatoes. Gently fry them. Once the garlic is golden, mix in the cumin and, if using, the garam masala. Remove from the heat until the lentils are completely softened.
5. Give the lentils a good stir. They should have the consistency of porridge - add more water if necessary. Once soft, mix in your fried garlic, chilli's, onion and tomatoes
Season to taste, then serve with the caulli, topped with coriander. Add a dollop of sour cream if wanted. So simple, so quick, so good.