Vegan Pancakes: Buckwheat and Chilli Banana
Pancakes are always delicious but the addition buckwheat and our sauce of choice brings a new twist. The buckwheat flour imparts a rich, nutty taste which marries well with the banana sauce.
Makes: 12 x 8 cm pancakes
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 50g plain (all purpose) flour)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 pinch of fine sea salt
- 200ml of non-dairy milk (we use oat of almond)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil (plus more for frying)
- 2 tablespoons of mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons of Rubies in the Rubble banana ketchup (Rubies use surplus fruit and veg that would otherwise go to waste to create their mayos, chutneys and ketchups).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In a jug, mix the milk, vanilla, vegetable oil and the mashed banana.
- Fold in the banana ketchup
- Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry to form a smooth batter.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a little oil. Wipe the oil over the base of the pan with a paper towel.
- When the pan is hot, drop in heaped tablespoons of the batter and cook over a medium- high heat for 1 minute, or until bubbles start to form on top.
- Flip and cook for about 30 seconds more.
- Repeat until the batter is up, keeping the pancakes warm.
- Add maple or date syrup if you want added sweetness.
To get the majority of the ingredients outlined in this recipe plastic free check out The Plastic Free Pantry